The Village Garage
This small building, only 14' x 19', originally located in Upper Lakeville was a butcher's shed, although it had not beenused as such for many years and was in serious disrepair when donated to the Heritage Society. The butcher would purchase local animals and usually truck them to the premises, although there are still residents of the community who remember driving their cattle there on foot. After slaughtering, hanging and butchering, the butcher would sell the meat door-to-door.
The design of the building, with its high exterior walls and double-door entrance makes it very close to what would have been built to make a small garage.
Duringthe 1940s, as vehicles became more common, small garages were opened by local entrepreneurs to service the motorists. Aswell as selling gas and oil, a crucial service was the ability to repair the tubes inside the tires as the unpaved roads made punctures common.
Outside the garage you will see the 1948 International pickup truck which was restored by the Heritage Society, or its 1928 Model A Ford, also recently restored.